Monday, September 23, 2013

Galvanized corrugated metal shower surround Q & A

This post is way past due.  I've continued to receive lots of emails and a lot more visits to my piddly blog because of this one thing than I otherwise ever would have.  Jeff is no longer surprised when I call him at work for the answers to the questions people have for us and I'm very glad to do it because sometimes a tutorial just isn't enough and goodness knows I'm not the best tutorial maker/writer.

I'll go over the most common questions that people continue to ask about our galvanized corrugated metal shower surround (boy, that was a mouthful!)  The most common one is "How's it holding up?"

It's holding up great and we haven't had one single issue with the functionality of it.  The metal is galvanized and the screws are stainless steel so there's zero rust and the flashing and channeling are working like they should.  And remember, it's been our only shower for over three and a half years and there are seven of us so it gets used more than the average shower.

We have well water that is very hard and leaves mineral deposits on everything it touches if it isn't wiped up before it dries and I'm no Martha so my shower does gather mineral deposits...among other things.  The nice thing about the galvanized metal is it already has a mottled finish to it which does help conceal some of my inept housekeeping skills. 

When it was brand new it had a very shiny, mirror-like quality to it which is a bit more subtle now. (To see what it looked like over three years ago click here and here.)   However, it still looks good in my opinion.


This is what it looks like today.  This is the best I can do for a picture right now.  I've been crazy sick these last few days and the whole bathroom needs a good cleaning but I'm just too tired to and felt like blogging about it anyway.

That leads me to another common question, "How do you clean it?"  Because of the hard water I've used CLR on it several times which is pretty harsh stuff but said to be fine for occasional use on galvanized metal but my favorite cleaner (surprisingly to me) has become a half and half mixture of white vinegar and palm olive.  I fill a dish scrubber just like this one with the solution.  (Thank you pinterest and whoever came up with this brilliant idea in the first place!)


I have found it's best to clean it just after someone has use the shower, while the surround is still wet, rather than while I'm taking one, because it gives the vinegar more time to work on the mineral deposits before I rinse it off.

And the last question people commonly ask is, "Would you do it again?"  The answer is yes.  It's a unique look that we don't see everywhere, it would be so extremely easy to change if we ever get tired of it, and it was very affordable and easy to install.

Those are the most common questions I get and thought it was worth sharing.  If anyone ever has more questions don't hesitate to leave it in the comments or email me.

   

23 comments:

  1. Hello Celeste! Glad to see a post from you. :) (I have no room to talk. Poor blog has been on the back burner.)
    I use the same cleaner on my plastic tub surround and love it. The dish scrubber idea is perfect for your application! Brilliance. I love practical!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Cheryl! Great to hear from you and I hope you and your crew are all doing great!

      Delete
  2. how did you seal the knob plate to the steel? I am attempting a similar project but can't figure out how to keep the water from getting behind the circular trim plate. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our Delta shower faucet came with a metal cylinder that slides over the plumbing hidden behind the escutcheon plate. Jeff cut the hole in the corrugated metal to fit that cylinder very closely and then used silicone around it to seal any small gaps.

      Delete
  3. Hello! Love what you've done with your shower! We are actually in the process of doing one ourselves and while looking for information online it brought me to your blog! :) I do have a few questions! What did you use as your vapor barrier? and also does it sweat behind the tin? What did you do to prevent that? My only concerns with this project so far is it sweating or leaking, and eventually molding!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sara! You can use felt paper (roofing paper) as a vapor barrier. Install the flashing in the corners first then the felt paper over that and the corrugated metal over the felt paper. As far as sweating and mold goes, we're curious about that too, ha! We've had it for a few years and I'm ready for a change so when we take it down I'll have to let everyone know what we find; however, it will be a while before we get to that project as it is on a very long to do list.

      Delete
  4. We are planning to do our shower the same way as yours. My question is. How or what did you do to prevent water from getting behind the tin where your hot & cold water lever is located? What did you seal it with?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks so much for the blog on this project! I am considering doing this for our bathroom as well and this is the best blog about it all! Any issues with "White Rust" as many other forums say could happen? Have you stuck to any annual maintenance to help reduce or eliminate the potential for rust? Wonder how the rustoleum worked out for you and if you apply again every so often. Ours will be a little different as we have to integrate a bathtub as well (only bath in the house for now) but the z channel is a great idea around the base. Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words! We have not had any "white rust" or any other issues with the galvanized metal. We didn't actually use rustoleum or anything else on ours although I have read at least one article where someone did. (I think it was the shower featured in Country Living magazine.) We have not done any maintenance on it other than cleaning and I still use regular methods and cleaners only avoiding anything too harsh or abrasive. After several years of use it isn't quite as mirror like as it was when we first installed it but as you can see in the picture above it still looks pretty good. I don't assume it will last forever but I really have no complaints so far. Best of luck with your bathroom!

      Delete
  6. Thank you so much for this very cool and very unique idea, plus all the how to steps! I'm really thinking about doing this for my bathroom remodel, but as I've told other people about it, there is one question I can't answer. Is it safe? Not just a metal surround, but water and electricity and a large amount of conductive metal makes me a little nervous. I've got a can light in the shower and just wanted to make sure this was going to be ok. Thoughts?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Assuming you don't have any live wires in the shower with you, you should be fine.

      Delete
  7. If I missed this in previous questions I apologize, but...is it loud? Sorry if that's a silly question but I love the look of this shower but the first thing that popped into my head is wow, that must be loud!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol! That's a good question I've never thought of! No, it isn't any louder than tile or fiberglass and sounds nothing like rain on a tin roof. The wall behind the metal absorbs all the sounds. Thanks for your question. :)

      Delete
  8. Hi. Just curious as to why you would use palm oil as opposed to other oils, in combination with white vinegar on the cleaning of the surface. I have corrugated metal walls in my metalsmith jewelry studio and would like to clean them. I did a search and found your post. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Danielle. I use vinegar mixed with Palm Olive brand liquid dish soap. I assume you could use any other brand but that happens to be the type I regularly buy. Hope this helps.

      Delete
    2. OMG, I guess when I read your original post, I wasn't wearing my reading glasses. LOL! Thank you for the clarification. Have a beautiful day!

      Delete
  9. I think his post above means Palmolive dish soap

    ReplyDelete
  10. I too have a corrugated metal shower, powered by well water. After cleaning, I polish it with baby oil. Baby oil is inexpensive, and the shine lasts forever!!~!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for that great tip CJ! We are starting to get a white powdery film in a few spots so I'll have to try this out!

      Delete
  11. Hi there, I enjoyed your post on your galvanized metal shower. I wondered if you have a post about the original install of the walls, specifically the install of the round shower handle hardware where you turn the water off and on. What did you put behind that to fill the gap created by the waves in the metal?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love this! Did u just screw it to wall or is there some kind of glue/ adhesive behind it too?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It is only screwed to the wall, no glue.

      Delete
  13. Love the look! I was wondering about sealing all the screws so water would not work it's way behind. Did you seal each screw, and what did you use?
    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete