Tuesday, August 2, 2016

The master bedroom suite is finished!



Our bedroom and closet are finally done which completes the master suite. (You can see the bathroom here.) This has been a major boost to our morale.  We started this house SEVEN years ago and we've come a long way from our original 800 square feet of living space but we still have so far to go. But, THIS IS OUR YEAR, or so we keep telling ourselves. We've got to get it done for so many reasons but especially for our sanity.  For those of you who've ever tried living in a house while you're building it or extensively remodeling it, you know what I'm talking about.  I don't think I'd recommend it if there's any other way possible.

Enough ranting.  

As I mentioned last time, we finally decided on Hickory floors with a satin clear coat and, man, am I loving it!  Other than the bathrooms and mud/laundry room, we'll be putting it throughout the whole house including the kitchen, I think. Is it a mistake to put wood floors in the kitchen? Anyone with some insight or opinions on that, please let me know.  I've had wood floors in a couple of kitchens in past houses but I've heard horror stories about malfunctioning dishwashers ruining wood floors in the kitchen so maybe I should reconsider. So many rabbit trails, back to the bedroom.



We're not minimalists but we're loving the sparseness of the furnishings we put in this room.  Our other bedroom had unintentionally served as a catch all and it felt suffocating. I still need to find some table lamps but I don't want to add anything else, not even art...for now.


In our 18 years of marriage, Jeff and I have never had a real bed with real legs and a real headboard and I felt like it was time. I knew I wanted a wood bed that doesn't require a bed skirt so I picked out a few online and reluctantly showed them to Jeff.  Reluctant because not only are they expensive but I knew exactly what his response would be..."I can build that!" I didn't want him to take on one more thing in his already way too busy schedule but I couldn't spend that kind of money on something and not tell him first. I showed him and he immediately said, "I can build that!" and there was no talking him out of it.


Well, long story short, he built us a bed and I couldn't be happier!  We both loved this bed but I wanted the headboard to be wood instead of upholstered so not only did we save a bunch of money (we spent roughly $500 to build our own) but I got exactly what I wanted.  I might be a little spoiled. 


The closet feels really refreshing too.  We aren't clothes hogs so this 7' by 8' closet is plenty big with room to spare so we built in a vanity with drawers (which he built because I couldn't find exactly what I wanted).


I still need to hunt down better baskets, lights, and an appropriate mirror for the vanity but I'm enjoying it immensely just how it is. 


We've started on the mud/laundry room by tearing out some walls but Jeff cracked a rib a few weeks ago then on Saturday he had three big sneezes and heard a "pop" in that rib and now he's really singing the blues, and moaning a lot, and walking funny so it might be a while before we make anymore headway on it. He spent the past few days resting the best he knows how and I think that was harder on him than the pain he's in so he's back at work today. Oh, to be high strung and full of energy.  

Next time I plan to have an update of my parents little house which is coming along nicely!

Oh, and please let me know what your thoughts are on kitchen flooring.  Thanks!


18 comments:

  1. Hi! Love your bedroom! I've had wood floors for over 20 years with nary a problem. Good luck with your decision.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh man, that closet is a dream, and i love your minimal look in the bedroom. i reread your post to see if you mentioned it, but you aren't getting a rug? to me, that not only finishes the look, but creates a lot of warmth to your space. rug or not, enjoy your new space. oh and awesome job building the bed and head board!
    b

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks b! I actually do already have the rug for the bedroom but I'm in no hurry to use it since I've been living with only subflooring in most of the house for years, lol!

      Delete
  3. I think a water leak would damage pretty much any floor so unless you're considering something industrial go with the wood! Most homes with wood floors have it in the kitchen too so it must not be too much of an issue. I love your leggy furniture! Very mid-century mod! Classic!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a dream cottage. I love the closet, and nice bedroom too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Download 16,000 Woodworking Plans & Projects
    http://woodworkingplanspro.weebly.com
    16,000 Woodworking Plans With Step-By-Step Details, Photos, Materials Lists And More!
    Hope it will help you next time !

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't know why but I thought of your blog the other day! It's probably been about 5 years since I was last looking at your blog! Congratulations on your updates :) I still remember the corrugated metal in the shower do you still have that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, hi "C", I remember you! We don't have the corrugated shower anymore. We've transitioned everything in the house to mostly normal now, lol! I hope you are doing well. :)

      Delete
  7. Thanks for sharing this valuable and understanding article with us.
    Finding Best HP Printer Black Friday Deals
    Here we provided best one for you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your car could be stolen if you don't keep this in mind!

    Imagine that your car was taken! When you visit the police, they inquire about a particular "VIN check"

    Describe a VIN decoder.

    Similar to a passport, the "VIN decoder" allows you to find out the date of the car's birth and the identity of its "parent"( manufacturing plant). Additionally, you can find:

    1.The type of engine

    2.Model of a car

    3.The limitations of the DMV

    4.The number of drivers in this vehicle

    You will be able to locate the car, and keeping in mind the code ensures your safety. The code can be checked in the database online. The VIN is situated on various parts of the car to make it harder for thieves to steal, such as the first person sitting on the floor, the frame (often in trucks and SUVs), the spar, and other areas.

    What if the VIN is intentionally harmed?

    There are numerous circumstances that can result in VIN damage, but failing to have one will have unpleasant repercussions because it is illegal to intentionally harm a VIN in order to avoid going to jail or the police. You could receive a fine of up to 80,000 rubles and spend two years in prison. You might be stopped on the road by a teacher.

    Conclusion.

    The VIN decoder may help to save your car from theft. But where can you check the car reality? This is why we exist– VIN decoders!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Для возможности иметь право рулить погрузчиком, надо пройти высококачественное обучение и успешно сдать экзамены, которые подтверждают знания в этой области. Удостоверение тракториста-машиниста выдается в Гостехнадзоре и обязательно для тех, кто задумывает трудиться на специальной технике - оформить права на погрузчик

    ReplyDelete
  10. It helps players to stay updated with the latest results and make informed decisions while placing their bets.

    ReplyDelete
  11. "Up satta king result - stay updated on the latest outcomes of the satta matka game in Uttar Pradesh."

    ReplyDelete
  12. The Gali Satta King result holds great significance for those involved in the Satta King game.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This short tutorial is really good i really appreciate you for this kinda work

    ReplyDelete
  14. I want to thank you for sharing such a good information that provides you, that's great.

    ReplyDelete