Monday, December 21, 2009

10 daze

Yesterday, while Jeff and my dad worked on house stuff, my mom, sister and I watched the movie, Julie & Julia.  When Erin told me she brought it, I asked her if she had watched it yet.  She said no, but had heard it was pretty good.  I had heard that it will make you cry.

Now, have you all seen this movie?  It's a movie about a woman named, Julie, who blogged her way through one of Julia Child's cookbooks in one year, testing every recipe and then posting about them.  It's a true story that was turned into a movie.  Well, a few months ago, Kendra from My First Kitchen, had mentioned on her blog that she saw it in the theater and cried a lot during this movie.  In fact, she said it made her do the "ugly cry."  You can read what she said for yourself here and check out the rest of her blog while your at it.  (I love her blog and I don't even really like to cook.)  Anyway, this left me with the impression that it was possibly sad or something tragic happens, and I hate to cry so I had no intentions of watching this movie, ever.  But, since my sister brought it I figured I'd do my best to muscle my way through it.  Apparently I misunderstood where Kendra's tears were coming from though, because not a single tear was shed by any of us throughout the entire movie.  In fact, we did a lot of giggling and making comments like, "Oh, that is so Julia!" as if we actually personally knew Julia Child.  It is possible that my family and I are more familiar with her than most people because, while I was growing up, we regularly watched her cooking show on PBS on the weekends.  And none of  us like to cook.  What's funny about this though, is that the only reason we ever watched her show was because of my dad.  He doesn't cook anything, ever, but he does enjoy watching people cook.  I'd say a lot of people must, because there are so many cooking programs and channels dedicated to it. 

Anyway, Julia Child was a very unique person and Meryl Streep really nailed the role.  I enjoyed the movie enough that I would probably buy it if I came across it at the store.  I'm sure it's not a movie everyone would enjoy, but if you have a past history with Julia Child like I do, then I definitely recommend that you see it!  Just a little F.Y.I.


Today, we're all back at it.  Only ten days left till move in time.  Have I mentioned that we'll have open rafters in the house?  Is that the right term when it's actually the second floor floor joist that will be left open on the bottom?  The ceiling height of the first floor will be the usual eight feet and the second floor floor joists will be painted white. Which reminds me, I'm a little concerned about the knots in the pine boards bleeding through the paint.  I don't mind if there's a little bleed through and I don't want to have to shellac the wood first, so we're just going to go with a good primer and hope for the best.  It will hopefully look something like this ceiling when we're done.

courtesy of Better Homes and Garden

3 comments:

  1. Celeste,

    I too just saw that movie this weekend. The blizzard settled on NJ and there wasn't much else to do -- except maybe paint, finish the bathroom, etc, etc -- but you are right, Meryl Streep did a fantastic job portraying Julia Child. I can't understand why anyone would cry during that movie, unless she was in a theater and wearing very uncomfortable shoes. Actually, the woman who wrote the book (and has the blog) Julie Powell released a second book about an affair she had after her book deal. It's titled: Cleaving: A Book of Marriage, Meat, and Obsession.

    We have rafter ceilings in the 'summer kitchen'. I will ask the man of the house what was used on them to prevent the knots from showing through the white paint.

    - Deborah

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha Ha!! Kendra's pregnant and has a big crush on food so I think her emotions came from one of those two places...or both. I don't know.

    Thanks for looking into the ceilings for me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay heres the response I got from "the man" regarding the exposed beams/rafters: If the wood is new don't just paint over it. Look for a varnished based primer to cover the knots. Alternatively, you could use varnish on the knots but you would then have to sand lightly over it.
    A good blocker like BIN (apply TWO coats) will do the job.

    Hope this helps.

    ReplyDelete