Wednesday, September 9, 2009

We gotta lotta punkins



About two weeks ago the kids and I picked all of our little Sugar Pie pumpkins and cow peas. We shelled the peas, which were dried on the vine, right away and made a huge mess on the living room floor doing it. We loved it though. It felt so old timey! Now I need a pressure cooker so we can eat 'em. Yum!

I planted 5 pumpkin seeds and got 15 pumpkins out of them. Not bad although I expected more. I'm happy with the turn out though. I'll be doing good to get them all processed. The pumpkins have had their curing time, whatever that means, and are ready to be chopped, baked and pureed. Sooo, since I didn't have the baby last night like I planned, I guess I'll take care of the pumpkins today instead of a cute little squishy baby. The poor child is probably holding out on being born till I have a name picked out. Maybe Jeff and I should look into that tonight over a pan of pumpkin squares.

4 comments:

  1. Ummm...Pumpkin Squares sound good!! Hey, with the way people name their children these days, you could name it...you guessed it...PUMPKIN! It's unisex. It could go either way. Do you know if it's a boy or a girl?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, that eventually becomes a nick name for all my kids!;) We're waiting to find out till he/she's born. It's so exciting!

    ReplyDelete