Sunday, November 15, 2009

Edjumication

Okay, I just realized something while looking for houses of similar style to ours today on the Internet. Those things I've been referring to as piers are not actually piers. And if I'd ever thought about what a pier actually is (you know, something you can walk out over lakes on) I would have caught the mistake much sooner. Those posts in the ground have several names and a pier isn't one of them. They're really called stilts, pillars or pilings. Duh! Okay, I'm an idiot. But I know I can't be the only one that had a disconnect concerning the name of those posts holding the house up off the ground because no one ever corrected me and everyone seemed to know what I was talking about when I'd say "Our house is being built on piers." Of coarse I'm usually talking to women and we women seem to speak the same language and most men know it's not always safe to correct a member of the opposite sex, on anything, so maybe they just nodded and smiled at me and had a good laugh about it later.



It's just one of those things that happens sometimes when I talk about man stuff. The names and mental pictures of things don't always line up. Kind of like those things you need to remove your tire when you get a flat. You know, a crow bar. I just also learned today that that's not what those things are called either. Had I thought about it, it would seem pretty ridiculous to try removing a tire with a crow bar.

Exhibit A. The crow bar








Exhibit B. the thing you use to take off tires a.k.a. the Four Way Wrench







Anyway, for those of you who speak my language, here's a pier...




And here's a house on stilts...



Whatever.





No comments:

Post a Comment